Wednesday, July 6, 2016

Visiting A X-Man

Visiting A X-Man




Tifton,GA ~ On a humid summer day, in Atlanta, I had the privilege of visiting a Superhero. During my visit, I  had the chance to build, experience Tifton GA, and confirm unity with my brother  Shakir X.  I have an X and Bashir (currently studying aqua-ponics, in Philadelphia) does too. I call us the X-Men of Agriculture. The future of the Ministry of Agriculture.
Shakir was practicing  his livestock production trade  at Abraham Baldwin Agricultural College, which is an agriculturally focused school, who is 1 of 15 in the Georgia University System. ABAC's  building structures are composed of  early American brick building's, with large white columns holding them up.  It's the first thing you notice when arriving on the desolate, vividly green campus.   The college  is found in southwest Georgia,  and is on  the outskirts of a busy rural town called Tifton.  When I visited, it  was July 3rd. I took the solo trip to visit around 10 am that morning, after reluctantly peeling myself off a down pillow, inside of the Park Inn, in Albany GA. But I had too,  it was a destined trip , that I had promised Shakir would happen last year at Muhammad Farms, during our apprenticeship with the Ministry of Agriculture. That's where I first met Shakir. It was the time when I first learned about his wisdom  and saw his Superhero strength.    
Abraham Baldwin Agricultural College, Tifton, Georgia 
   Tifton is a small rural town that's made up of historical Agriculture centers , museums and parks. It's a unique town to spend the day in. Shakir greeted me with an asalaamu aleikum and a handshake. It was a warm and usual greeting in an unfamiliar setting. The campus is rectangular shape and crowded with mad types of different trees , shrubs and other ground vegetation.  Upon arrival I had to go to the bathroom , Shakir quickly showed me around the front of the  campus giving me  a voice guided tour, then rushed me to his dorm room to use the loo. Inside Shakir's 3 bedroom apartment style door room, lots of blank space fills the room. One couch with no table and an empty kitchen. It looked like a classic college dorm. Empty spaces, noodle soups and Dish soap for hand washing. It was a familiar scene , I was happy to experience again for the day. After our exchange of what's been going on, Shakir needed me to take him to get a tv, some food and clothes. In a town as bare as Shakir's dorm room , Tifton only offers  a Walmart to get basic goods and materials. Regrettably so, we headed to the Walmart and proceeded to shop. In the car, on the way over,  Shakir told me about the beef cattle job he had , managing a herd for the school . He was enthusiastic when he was telling me. I could tell cows were his passion, although he confirmed he wants to set up a dairy operation not beef. But was grateful for the opportunity to learn. Shakir, throughout the visit, shared different aspects of the industry that I know , he has taken to heart and won't forget, even though he had sold some of his books back to the school for a little bit of survival cash. A mistake many of us make , who go to college . We give back our references, our tools our books for temporary financial  assistance. A move that I regret doing myself. But for Shakir,  he had to do what he had to do. And regardless, his knowledge was so on point , it was like the brother had remembered the textbooks word for word. Basically he knew what he knew, he knew  what  will be useful in his upcoming tenure on the  dairy cattle  post.
When we arrived at Walmart, I had to distance myself a little, I found myself  giving to much advice on what to eat and what to buy. I could tell I was going overboard when Shakir made a break  away for the meat section. So I decided to check out the seed selection. Unfortunately, to my surprise, they didn't have one . Not one seed at a store in an Agriculture Town . About a mile from  to the school. We met back up, checked out and continued our day. I took the brother to Publix, to get some food. I was able to teach Shakir about the differences in cost per Oz and the actual cost. He leaned to read into the price per ounce to see if the total  lower cost was a deal or a rip off. I was just overjoyed to have found something to teach . We checked out quickly . I knew how to make a meal with just organic chicken , brown rice cabbage and carrots. I showed my brother. He was reluctant to try cooking at first ,but soon realized , I had cooking skills, skills he too would need.  We ate the meal, then Shakir put out a beanpie slice. It was gone in seconds. Then we played few games while we discussed our futures. We both realized the need for unity , the need to use each ones power, to make a great team. We would have to be a group of Superheros that would take on the evil enemy of poverty his side kick hunger. After the last bite, we agreed to exchange any papers we write. It will keep us on the same brain length . Synergy with longevity is unity. Unity is what it will take. Every X man needs a team. We got ours

No comments:

Post a Comment